WWI Stories
WWI Documents
WWI Rosters
WWI Battles
WWI Pictures
WWII Rosters
WWII Stories
WWII Documents
June 44 - 115th Reg.
WWII Battles
WWII Pictures
Ceremonies - Reunions
Contact us
115th Regiment - After Action Report - June 1944

I  Summary of Operations
   A.  Phase #1
     1.  Landing Operations 6 June 1944.
The 115th Infantry landed at 1025 hours, with the 1st and 2nd Battalions abreast on Fox Green beach, about 1000 yards east of that part of the beach on which it was intended to land. The 2nd Battalion on the right crossed the beach and started up the cliff, making slow progress due to mines. The progress of the 1st Battalion on the left was faster. It pushed inland to the south of St. Laurent, reaching there about dark. This battalion was subjected to heavy fire from snipers and mortar fire throughout the night. Lt. Col. Richard C. Blatt became fatally wounded by mortar fire. The 2nd Battalion attempted to capture St. Laurent, but was unsuccessful. It then moved to the south of the town, into the woods, about one-half mile to the west. Regimental Headquarters landed with the landing battalions, and remained on the beach under artillery fire until 1600 hours. At 1630 hours, the headquarters moved the CP inland to a trail cast of  St. Laurent.
    2. Advance inland from Beach to Inundated Area.
During the night 6-7 June the 3rd Battalion moved to the outskirts of St. Laurent. At daybreak the attacked the town and by midmorning had secured it. They then pushed toward Louvieres. The 2nd Battalion was held in the woods all through the day. The 1st Battalion moved to the woods about 1200 yards to the west of St. Laurent. During the morning the CP moved into St. Laurent sur Mer severe sniper fire. In the afternoon it was moved further forward, to the rear of the 2nd Battalion. The 3rd Battalion was held up in front of Louvieres. In the later afternoon, although the battalions were widely separated, the attack was continued in the direction of Longueville. The 2nd Battalion was only battalion that succeeded in moving forward. The attack continued until 0300 hours. The 2nd Battalion was in the stream valley northwest of Montigny and the attack was halted there daylight. The attack was then resumed, with the 1st and 2nd Battalions generally abreast. Longueville was captured at 0900 hours by the 2nd Battalion, which assumed a defensive position west of the town. The 1st battalion moved forward and assumed the defensive to the last of the town because Trevieres had not been captured. Early in the morning, the 3rd Battalion had begun moving to a defensive position west of Formigny to protect the left flank of the Division. Later, they were moved to a defensive position west of Deux (Jumeaux, arriving there at 1800 hours. The Regimental CP, which had followed the 2nd Battalion, was established in Longueville.
   B. Phase #2
     1. Crossing Inundated Area.
During the night 8-9 June, the 3rd Battalion, followed by the 2nd Battalion, moved to the vicinity of Canchy, started across the inundated area. The crossing was completed with the assistance of the Engineers. The 2nd Battalion moved to the vicinity of Bois de Calette, the 3rd battalion to the vicinity of Colombieres, and the 1st Battalion to the vicinity of Bricqueville.
At noon, the 2nd and 3rd Battalions were ordered to continue their movement to the south. The 3rd Battalion moved against little enemy resistance, except for snipers. In the early afternoon, the 2nd Battalion encountered stubborn resistance at Veuilly. Late in the afternoon, this resistance was over come, when the battalion assumed a defensive position about a mile southwest of xxxxxx. During the night 9-10 June, the 2nd Battalion was attacked by the Germans and suffered considerable losses, and was disorganized. Thought the period 8-9 June, the 1st battalion remained in a defensive position at Bricqueville, where it suffered almost continuous attack from the Germans from the vicinity of Trevieres. As the other two battalions had moved miles south of the Germans at Trevieres, the 1st Battalion had the mission of protection, the left rear of the regiment.
    2. 2nd Battalion Incident.
At approximately 0245 hours, 10 June 1944, a closing force of Germans Armor and Infantry which had been by-passed and out off to our rear and was attempting to retreat to its own lines stumbled on the rear of 2nd Battalion column to the surprise of both units. Opening fire with their MG's, mortars and 88's a heavy and xxxxx section occurred in the dark with severe losses on both sides. The enemy tanks were knocked out, plus a 150mm field piece. The 2nd Battalion was left in a dispersed and disorganized state and control was not regained until after daylight. Battalion C.O., Lt. Col. William E. Warfield was found dead, believed to have been killed at approximately 0300 hours. Replacements were received and the remainder of battalion were reorganized under command of Lt. Col. Arthur T. Shoppe.
   C. Phase #3
     1. Elle River Crossing.
The regiment remained in defensive position, and patrolled across the Elle River. During the day, 12 June 44, the patrols could not cross the river because of heavy fire from the banks. In the afternoon, the regiment was warned that it would be required to attack across the river the next morning.
At 0245 hours, orders were received for an attack at 0500 hours, 12 June 44. The 1st and 3rd battalions attacked the river line abreast and the 1st Battalion on the right. During the preparatory fire German artillery fired into the troops forming the line of departure causing several casualties. Thus delayed the attack. At 0800 hours, the attack jumped off. The 1st Battalion was unsuccessful in crossing and moved south to the vicinity of Les Fresnes, where it was surrounded by the Germans. They fought in position until they were almost out of ammunition, at which time elements fought their way out and returned to a position north of the river. During the afternoon the relief of the 3rd Battalion was attempted by sending a detachment of tanks across the river at le Moulin l'Eveque. While a platoon from Company G and a detachment of Engineers from Company A, 121st Engineers successfully removed the minefields from the bridge, the attack was repulsed by German SP guns on the south of the river. Late in the afternoon, after a heavy artillery preparation, the 1st Battalion removed its attack, which was again repulsed. The 116th Infantry, at dark, forced a crossing.
     2. Advance from Elle River to defensive position.
At 0600 hours, 13 June 1944, 3rd Battalion recrossed the Elle River against light opposition consisting mostly of artillery and mortar fire. They advanced to position northwest of Couvains and were attached to the 116th Infantry. The 1st Battalion remained in a defensive position and the 2nd Battalion moved to the defensive line north of river previously held by 3rd Battalion. The regiment less the 3rd Battalion went into Division reserve. This position was maintened until the afternoon of 16 June 44 when the 2nd Battalion moved against a strong point of enemy resistance 300 yards north of Minet and west of St. Clair. It cleared out this resistance and remained there in a position (defensive) overnight. The 3rd Battalion reverted to Regimental control and remained in position. During night the 1st Battalion moved north through St. Clair toward Les Foulons against a light resistance and occupied a position 200 yards east of Les Foulons. It remained here in position until next morning. The Regimental CP following behind the 1st Battalion to a position 700 yards northeast of Les Foulons where it closed in at 180400E. The next morning the 2nd Battalion was moved southeast to Couvains and attached to the 116th Infantry. The next afternoon the 1st and 2nd Battalions moved southeast toward Couvains and then west to Bois de Bretel. The Regimental CP followed to Bois de Bretel. The 1st Battalion was committed south of woods during the afternoon, and encountered heavy resistance. The 3rd Battalion was also committed to left of 1st Battalion and it did not advance against heavy resistance. The 1st and 3rd Battalions remained there overnight in defensive positions. The 2nd Battalion 115th Infantry was detached from the 116th Infantry, and under Regimental control, relieved the 2nd Battalion, 116th Infantry on the morning of 19 June 44, taking over positions north of La Foussardiere. Early that morning the 3rd Battalion moved to defensive position in vicinity at Bois de Bretel. The Regimental CP, originally at Bois de Bretel, moved to rear of 2nd Battalion, and then to 657682.
   D. Phase #4
     1. Active defense north St. Lo.
From the 20th to 30th of June the 115th Infantry was in active defensive. There was affected a consolidation of our forces during which time replacement came to the 115th Infantry. There was active night patrolling, and considerable information of values was obtained concerning strength and disposition of enemy forces north of St. Lo.
     2. 3rd Armored attack through our positions.
Infantry and tanks elements of 3rd Armored Division attacked through our positions at 0900, 29 June 44 to seize high ground running east and west about 400 yards south of La Forge. Battalions remained in position and were subjected to intense artillery and mortar fire. The following day the 1st and 3rd Battalions of the 115th Infantry moved into positions of the 36th Infantry of the 3rd Armored Division, who withdrew through our lines.